Sunday, January 3, 2016

Finding the Real Butterbeer

For those of you who have read Harry Potter, you know that there are not many more things more delicious or comforting than a cup of Butterbeer in the magical world.  So what is really in this fictional drink?  I realize this is an oxymoron, but it seems worth considering.  My imagination tells me that it is like drinking a warm liquidized version of butterscotch pudding topped with vanilla whipped cream.  It must have some kind of frothy topping. Mmmmm…just the thought makes me sigh with contentment.

But, let’s get back to the “real” part of my oxymoronic question.  After finishing the Harry Potter series, the husband and I set forth on a quest of our own: find a reality of Butterbeer that meets our imagination.


 
Who knew that there is an entire website called 
The Disney Diner?  Except for Disney, of course.  It
is dedicated to creating a reality out of imaginary recipes (not necessarily from Disney) just like Butterbeer!  The husband and I were extremely excited because the ingredients matched my above description – whipped cream and butterscotch!  While the ingredients alone are delicious, the combination made a rather thick and way too sweet drink.  It didn’t brink the mmmm….contentment feeling I had hoped that butterbeer would create.  Instead, it left me smacking my lips together from the overly sweet chalkiness and wondering if I would regret drinking it.  Perhaps drinking it cold and thinning it with another liquid would have made it better, but we didn’t try this. 

The weird starchy mess that it left behind in the pot curbed my desire to find a recipe.  So, we thought – “What would Hermione do, if she were here?”  She would go to the library and look for a book on potions (a/k/a cookbooks).  Because we weren’t looking for recipes at this point, but were instead shopping for the lovely beverage.  We decided to Google “Butterbeer” and were delighted when we found “Reed’s Flying Cauldron Butterscotch Beer”.  And so a secondary quest began for finding this brand.

We searched the city high and low – Total Wine and More, John Brooks, Whole Foods, Natural Grocers, Sprouts, Smith’s, and more.  While these stores had other Reed’s products, they didn’t have the Butterscotch flavor that our taste buds required.  The more we searched and the less we found, I decided that this would be the perfect gift for the husband sometime in the future and made a mental note to keep searching.  I returned online to look into having the drinks shipped to us, but I refused to pay $16 for a 6 pack, plus shipping on top of that.  Because of that price tag, the search was halted for over a year.


For  Christmas 2015, I decided to buy the husband a lunchbox.  What better to go with that lunchbox

than Butterbeer?!  And the search resumed as quickly as it had ended.  I also realized that it wasn’t necessary to find the Reed’s brand and perhaps something else would work.  I walked into World Market with a heart full of hope and wandered around until the orange/brown label of Dang! That’s Good Rootbeer caught my eye.  (OK, you caught me.  I’m a researcher at heart and it really encompasses my entire being, so I looked it up online first.  I knew what I was looking for, but the label still caught my eye.  Probably because I was looking for it.)  At any rate, I immediately grabbed two of the butterflavored rootbeer bottles and headed to the register where the cashier greeted me happily and nearly jumped up and down as she saw my find.  She said that this was her favorite drink and if I liked butterscotch, I would love this.  She then proceeded to describe the flavor. “It’s a rootbeer, but it has a butterscotch after taste that isn’t too overpowering, so you can tell it’s still rootbeer, but butterscotch takes care of the bite in the rootbeer.”   She wrapped them up and voila, a gift for the husband.

The husband and I drank these on New Year’s Eve. As you can probably tell by our drink selection, New Year’s Eve isn’t really our thing.  But the soda just might be.  As if this was a fancy wine, we did a proper test by smelling the bottle before tasting it.  It smelled good, sweet, yummy and it tasted exactly as the cashier had said.  The husband’s response?  “This might be my new favorite drink.”  Then he smiled sheepishly “A new guilty pleasure…”

I guess I should mention at this point that we stopped drinking cokes over a year ago.  So not only was this a treat for finding a butterbeer like concoction, but it was the gift of sugar.  And at 31 grams per serving, it definitely had a lot of sugar in it!  While the husband was happy, I’m not sure if this met my butterbeer expectations; it did meet my butterscotch rootbeer expectations though.  So, if you like rootbeer and that strange syrupy yet somehow enticing burning that the taste leaves behind, this is worth trying.


After I purchased the rootbeer and had hidden it properly in my closet, the husband and I went to the Cracker Barrel for breakfast and some last minute gift buying before Christmas.  I was looking for this apple crisp gift set that included fried apples and the crisp mixture.  Two shelves down from the baking display, was the soda display.  As I walked past it, I saw “Flying Cauldron” in purple lettering on a black cardboard holder.  It couldn’t be it, could it?  After all this searching and then finally giving up for something else, had I found it?  The husband walked past it 3 times and never even noticed it.  Each time I held my breath that and prayed that he wouldn’t see it. After purchasing the apple crisp packages, he took them to the car and I made a beeline for the soda shelves.  Low and behold! (I was in the Cracker Barrel Country Store, so I felt I should use exclamations like this!) The Flying Cauldron Butterscotch Beer was found!!  I contemplated buying it immediately, but knew the husband would see it.  It would be better to wait, to surprise him.  And so I stopped by after work one day, bought the deliciously decorated bottles, and then hid the bottles in the closet with the others.  (Not what you would expect from a phrase like “hid the bottles,” right?)

When the husband opened his lunchbox on Christmas Eve, he was in disbelief.  “Where did you find these?” he asked, excitedly.  I smiled and said “Cracker Barrel.  You walked by them 3 times and thankfully didn’t see them!” More smiling.  We had to restrain from drinking it right then and there because of Christmas parties to attend.  The bottles tempted us for a week and then we finally tried them, saving what we hoped to be the best for last,

The Flying Cauldron recipe is a cream soda base as opposed to the previously mentioned pudding and rootbeer bases.  It smelled sweet – a combination of vanilla and brown sugar.  It smelled good, sweet, yummy and it tasted exactly as the cashier had said.  The husband’s response?  “This might be my new favorite drink.”  Then he smiled sheepishly “A new guilty pleasure…”  When I reminded him that was the exact same he said about the rootbeer, he responded in one breath with “Butthisoneisbetter! Don’tbemadifIcomehomewitha6packone day.” He took a breath and then asked, “Dotheycomeina6pack?” I had to laugh at what we were talking about, but said, “If it’s a 6 pack of cream soda, I can’t complain.  You can buy them in a pack, but they are priced individually.”  I was so excited about finding these, that I forgot to remove the price tags.  I cringed when the husband said “Whoa! These cost $2 each?”  Indeed, they do, but that mmmmm…contentment feeling is definitely worth it.

It tasted just like an old fashioned cream soda with a deeper butterscotch flavor that danced along with the carbonation on the tongue.  30 grams of sugar?  Who cares! This might be the closest flavor humanly, realistically possible to the imaginary cup of contentment called Butterbeer created for the Harry Potter series.  The only thing that might make it better is ice cream!  Who could argue with a Butterbeer Float?

Quest Complete

For now, the quest is complete, but who knows I may return to creating my own recipe one of these days!  The idea of something warm is still tempting.


No comments:

Post a Comment